Organic Sencha - Green Tea - Chefs Armoury
Shipping & Delivery Time (>>)
Sencha is the mainstay of daily green tea drinking in Japan. Our Organic Sencha is a premium green tea grown high in the hills around Kyoto. This green tea is from first harvest leaves only. Organic green tea growing is tough backbreaking work as all the weeding and harvesting is done by hand. 100g packet.
With an aroma of freshly cut straw this organically grown sencha has a long palate with firm tannins and an attractive enhanced bitterness. This tea is uplifting and invigorating in both aroma and palate.
- Choose a teapot that allows the tea leaves to fully expand. If your pot has a drop in mesh infuser, for optimal flavour remove the infuser to allow the tea leaves to fully expand.
- Use only enough water to fill the cup(s) that you will be using, as the tea is best poured out all at once so it does not overbrew.
- Using these tips you will be able to experience the best flavour.
- Sencha is best brewed at lower temperatures (approx 80° celsius) to bring out the flavours in the tea and to avoid any bitterness.
- Pour boiling water into a yuzamashi / ceramic water receptacle in order to cool down the water temperature. If you have thin ceramics you may have to do this twice. Next pour the water into your teapot. It should now be about 80° celsius.
- Add 2 heaped teaspoons of tea leaves (per 200mL) into a teapot.
- Wait 60-80 seconds.
- When pouring, fill half of each cup and then distribute water little by little into each cup so that each person receives the same strength brew.
Number of brews:
- 1 - 2 times.
- In between brews, tap the teapot against the palm of your hand to loosen the leaves and leave the lid ajar so that the tea does not stew.
- For the 2nd brew steep for a shorter time.
To find your favourite sencha brew, experiment testing different amounts of tea, rather than varying the water temperature or brewing time. If the water is too hot it will produce a bitter brew.
Try some organic sencha today!
Most items ship within 24-48 hours business days (bespoke items excluded)