Tsujima Natural Nagura
The Tsujima natural nagura can be used to create a fine slurry on natural or synthetic finishing stones. Although it is highly recommended for kataba knives it can also be used for chisels, straight razors or ryoba style blades as well. Due to being a little more brittle, the stone is sealed on all sides with lacquer.
About Nagura Stones
The nagura is highly recommended for advanced sharpening technique when used in combination with a finishing stone (shiageto). Many finishing stones both synthetic and natural are hard by nature and it's difficult to build up a slurry from the get go.
The benefits of using natural nagura stones in combination with shiageto are as follows:
- Creates a lubricant making the sharpening process smoother, with less skipping and slipping.
- Eliminates glazing from steel becoming embedded into the stone surface.
- Reduces suction on the stone surface when sharpening kataba (single edged blades).
- The slurry formed from the nagura constantly exposes new sharpening grit from the host stone for more efficient sharpening.
- Creates a sharper longer lasting edge due to a more random tooth pattern formed by the differing grits of the host and nagura stones.
Most items ship within 24-48 hours business days (bespoke items excluded)