Kuro Kuma Black Shirogami Soba Kiri
Shipping & Delivery Time (>>)
Kuro Kuma Soba Kiri
White carbon steel knife for making handmade noodles, pasta etc ...
High quality hand forged soba kiri are hard to find, even in Japan. A trip to the kitchenware stores and you can find a few machine made, molybdenum numbers but nothing much of quality. And the reason? Soba kiri are really difficult to make! Being a such broad, long, straight blade every step of crafting becomes a tug of war of straightening and adjusting to achieve an excellent result.
Luckily all that hard work doesn't mean you need too spend too much to get your hands on an excellent soba kiri. White 2 steel is left in a blackened state from the forge and finished in a very comfortable walnut handle. This blade is left with a little rustic roughness for good measure but still performs as it should.
About Soba Kiri
Soba is a type of buckwheat noodle that is often made entirely by hand. The three steps to making soba are …
- Mixing the dough – a very difficult process of mixing buckwheat flour, water and often some wheat flour to the perfect consistency
- Rolling the dough – After mixing, the dough is rolled out in a series of steps to create a large square and then folded ready for slicing
- Cutting the noodles – this is by far the most enjoyable part and cannot be done well without using a well weighted hand forged Soba-Kiri
The weight of this blade and long straight edge will perfectly cut soba all day long with as much accuracy as your skillset allows. It has been forged and sharpened for use by a right hander and not only cuts soba but can also be used for slicing pasta and other noodles.
Traditionally Soba is cut on a soft wooden board as not to damage or blunt the blade. It is important to also note the blade is sharp, but cannot be too sharp as it will slice into the board.
- Carbon steel rusts if left wet. Thoroughly dry with a clean cloth when not in use. Ideally use camellia oil for maintenance.
- Use exclusively for noodles. Other foods may damage the blade. This knife was forged and quenched with this task in mind.
- Never drop or handle the knife roughly. The blade must be entirely straight to slice noodles well.
- The screw holes in the handle can be filled with a little bees wax or putty if you are bothered by them.
- Never cut on a hard board, marble bench, glass etc.
- This knife must be sharpened by stone with the bevel on the right hand side only.
|Style||Soba Kiri||Blade Length||332mm|
|Blade Thickness||3mm||Tang||Full tang|
|Composition||White 2 carbon steel|
|Edge||Kataba bevel for right handers||Saya||Included|
Comes in an individual, custom fitted knife wrap
Orders are despatched Tuesday to Friday. Sharpening Services Currently Unavailable.