Kagekiyo Mizu Honyaki W2 300 Kiritsuke Yanagiba - Ebony
Share this product
Shipping & Delivery Time (>>)
Elite level kiritsuke yanagiba by Kagekiyo.
- This knife is made specifically for slicing raw fish
- Mirror finish above the shinogi line
- White 2 carbon steel blade differentially tempered at the spine providing extra strength to this elite carbon steel blade
- Water quenched
- Extremely sharp kataba blade
- Blade forged and sharpened by Sakai elite level artisans
- Please note - the handle is set with a small gap at the machi in honour with tradition
Includes wooden saya.
About Honyaki Knives
- Honyaki knives are considered the pinnacle of blacksmithing in Japan.
- As the cutting edge is more brittle compared to hon-kasumi knives they require very skilled hands. In Japan it's said only great chefs can use a honyaki knife properly without damaging it, hence it is considered a right of passage for many chefs.
- Honyaki knives are made of one steel and hence extremely difficult to make compared to hon-kasumi knives which are made from joining soft iron to harder steel to give it similar properties
- There are honyaki knives and honyaki knives. The cheaper variety are not differentially tempered - you can normally tell by the price.
- A honyaki knife is more difficult to sharpen than a honkasumi knife but has even better edge retention and sharpness.
Note: This is an elite level knife made from carbon steel and is more susceptible to rust than stainless steel knives. The carbon steel blade will form a patina and change colour from first use. We recommend camellia oil and rust cleaner for maintenance.
If you have never used, sharpened and maintained a carbon steel sashimi knife before and would like to buy a honyaki knife, we highly recommend starting with one of the other yanagiba we have available.
|Style||Yanagiba Kiritsuke||Blade Length||290mm|
|Blade Thickness||3.7mm||Tang||Pin tang|
|HRC (hardness)||63||Composition||White 2 honyaki|
|Edge||Kataba single bevel for right handers||Saya||Included|